If you feel you’ve been Called To Adoption, the next step is preparation. First and foremost, you’ll want to educate yourself. Learn about domestic adoption vs. international adoption, as well as the different types of adoptions including: closed adoption, open adoption, and semi-open adoption. You’ll not only want to explore your options, but also begin to emotionally and spiritually understand varying adoption situations. Once you can relate with birth mothers and other families who have adopted, you may better understand how fulfilling adoption can be…allowing you to expand your family and open your heart.
Below are a few quick steps to help you succeed in your Christian adoption:
- Determine the type of adoption that is best for you, including the age range and racial background of the child you want to parent
- Find the qualified adoption professional who will help you build your family
- Complete the required paperwork, profile and other requirements to become qualified to adopt
- Prayerfully wait for the child God has for you, using this time of waiting to prepare for parenting
- Joyfully say “Yes!” when you are blessed with the opportunity to adopt a child.
To help you fully prepare and educate yourself about the process of adoption, read Called to Adoption – A Christian’s Guide to Answering the Call, and for more quick adoption guidelines, check out 11 steps to realizing your adoption goals.